Thursday, December 14, 2017

Summer learning journey week 1 day 1

Summer learning journey (day 1)

The Activity: read a short story about a famous man in Maori mythology - Maui. Post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?


1- The giant fish that Maui caught is the North Island.
2- Maui said his karakia to give the fishing line more strength.
3- The canoe that Maui and his brothers used it the South Island.
  
I also heard that Maui is a demi god and his fish hook gives him the power to change into animals.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I like how your facts are different and are right out of the story we had to read. I have also heard that story about Maui to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you for the Summer Learning Journey this summer. Well done making a start on the activities!

    These are three really good facts. I like that you have talked about Maui saying a karakia to strengthen his fishing line. Do you say karakia's at school?

    I bet you have seen the movie "Moana" and that is how you know about his ability to shape shift! Am I right? :) There are so many stories about Maui! If you thought this one was good and would like to read another one here is the link to Maui and the Sun: http://eng.mataurangamaori.tki.org.nz/Support-materials/Te-Reo-Maori/Maori-Myths-Legends-and-Contemporary-Stories/How-Maui-slowed-the-sun

    Let me know if you enjoy it!
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily!

    My name is Ellee, I am working alongside Emiely and Allie commenting on blogs for the Summer Learning Journey!

    Looks like you are off to a great start with the tasks!
    I really enjoyed reading your facts from the Maui story - Did you have a favourite part? I thought it was funny when one of the brothers got angry at the other for weighing down the boat and told him he had been eating too much kumara! :)

    I also think it's really cool that Maui can change into different animals, I think I would like to turn into a turtle and swim through the ocean. What would you change into?

    Keep up the great work with your blog Emily!
    Ellee :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.